UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Blood counts and treatment

Topic Made On: Nov 12, 2008 07:50pm
carlos

[font=arial]Good evening, firstly, what an informative and useful website. The information contained on here has been first class and has helped me considerably.
My mother was diagnosed with CLL following a bout of pneumonia in 2008. Since then, she has gone back to the hospital monthly to see the consultant as her white blood counts have been hovering around the 80+ mark. She is anaemic as well although generally she feels fine, is having no other symptoms etc. The consultant now wants to start her on a course of treatment as he would like to get her white count down. What I have not understood to date is why he is so keen to start her on treatment now when she has remained on this count for around six months. She feels well in herself and is having no other obvious symptoms, apart from the anaemia. I can see why he would want her count to be reduced but is there a reason why the count has to be reduced if she feels well? I would be grateful for any feedback as this has not been made clear yet. Regards, Carlos.
[/font]

Replied On: Nov 13, 2008 08:56am
Robert Cork

Carlos

Treating a high white cell count is not normally an indication for treatment, however, you indicate that mother has anaemia which is probably the reason that the haematologist wants to treat. A falling HB (and platelet) count is often a sign that the Bone Marrow is getting compacted resulting in good cell lines not being produced and the reason for treatment. Out of interest what is your mothers HB.

Hope this is of help.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Nov 15, 2008 11:23pm
carlos

Robert,

Many thanks, my mother has not been given her HB to her knowledge. Her next appointment is in 3 weeks and she will ask.

Carlos

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here