UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Swine Flu

Topic Made On: Jul 23, 2009 03:48pm
Robert Cork

I am curious to know the views of other CLL patient with respect to the swine flu pandemic. Are you concerned because of your lowered immunity?

Being post 7 months RFC and still having a low CD4 count, I have just cancelled a short break away in the UK.

Appreciate your views.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Jul 23, 2009 08:37pm
Swainson

Robert,

Yep itís a bit of a worry, Iím 4 months post chemotherapy and still immunosuppressed.

I actually chatted to my haematologist about this last week and his advice was to continue to be careful trying to avoid indoor crowds (I havenít been to a crowded venue now for 10 months) etc. and to make sure my GP is aware of the immunosuppression (which I have done) so we get some priority on vaccination. He seemed to think it would be health care workers first and the like of us would follow up closely behind.

I accept this might be seen as foolhardy but after being a chemotherapy prisoner for 6 months and having just got my life back; at the moment Iím not going to let the spectre of Swine Flu suppress me too much. Tomorrow Iím off to the Lakes for the weekend and in 2 weeks weíre off to Devon for a week with all the family.

All the best
Jim

Replied On: Nov 14, 2009 06:56pm
Greengrass

I know of 5 cases where perfectly healthy medical staff have had the swine flu jab and have suffered ill effects.Some have been off work. Effects include pain in the arm jabbed ( for up to 3 days) plus flu-like symtoms and headaches for up to 3 days. I was due to have my swine flu jab next week (I've already had the flu one) but I don't think I will now. A vaccine shouldn't make you ill.

Replied On: Nov 15, 2009 02:47pm
anon1922

I had swine flu [H1N1 confirmed on swab,was admitted to hospital and nearly died from respiratory complications - I would have chosen a sore arm for a few days instead.

Replied On: Nov 15, 2009 05:26pm
JackieR

My husband, still immunosuppressed from R-CVP had his swine flu vaccination a week ago. In fact ALL the family had it done under instruction from the haematologist. Husband is OK afterwards, me and our son are fine - but our daughter's arm is still very painful after two weeks. It's just a localised trauma to the muscle, but is taking AGES to get better.
We were told that the whole family was priority, due to my husband's CLL and that some parts of his immune system don't work properly.

Replied On: Nov 16, 2009 11:28am
ronnie

I had the swine flu vaccination almost 2 weeks ago. No after effects at all. My wife had the vaccination last week and at the vaccination mark on her arm it went raised and red and was a little painful. Its only just starting to ease for her. The DR had said about 10% people would experience an egg like swelling.

I am currently on no treatment.

Replied On: Dec 03, 2009 06:55pm
Greengrass

I had the Pandemrix version of the swine flu vaccine yesterday afternoon. I could feel it in my system after about 30 mins. but have had no side effects, no arm pain nor flu like symptoms. Perhaps it was wise not to take the first batch ? I have heard it said that Glaxo etc. charge the NHS around £7 a shot.By the way, do UK pigs get swine flu and do they get vaccinated ?

Replied On: Dec 04, 2009 04:52pm
adef

re Greengrass:

'healthy medical staff have had the swine flu jab and have suffered ill effects'

These aren't ill effects.This happened to my consultant.He tells me that the response in the arm with minimal flu symptoms (ie aching and slight temperature) are the consequence of the vaccine doing what it is supposed to do: vaccines provoke the body to respond without the virus causing a full illness.

I had the vaccine last week and had no arm pain or aching.My partner had a sore arm. I suspect that this means I have not mounted a vigorous response whereas she did.It will be interesting to see what happens when I go for the 2nd dose in a couple of weeks.

Don't forget that all CLL patients require 2 doses but healthy family members don't.

The CDC site (reliable info) explains why the 'swine'label is a simplification.

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

This Wikipedia article is about influenza in pigs and how they catch it. 'Swine' flu that we are being immunised against is different from influenza in pigs because the virus changed so that it can be transmitted between humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza

Stay well.

Adrian

Replied On: Dec 04, 2009 05:18pm
sassy1261

Had the swine flu jab two weeks ago, my doctor is not sure about giving me the second, getting advice on it. The whole top half of my arm became bright red, very swollen, hot and hard and I had the equivalent to flu for 6 days, felt bad and stayed in bed for 4, still not feeling good, very tired. Had the ordinary flu jab with no side effects. Consider myself very lucky as I have a 13q deletion, have had CLL for approx 5 years and apart from a few swollen glands, and before the jab only had 4 -6 days a month when I felt very tired. Interested in the results of my blood cell count that I had this week to see if reaction has increased WBC.

Replied On: Dec 04, 2009 10:34pm
Eileen

Had the swine flu jab today. I was told I will have to have another in three weeks. Arm just a little sore at the moment.
Take Care of yourselves everyone.

Replied On: Dec 05, 2009 09:04am
Greengrass

Sorry to hear that Sassy.Make sure to get rest, plenty of fluids and some paracetamol,and I'm sure you'll get better.That was the reaction which caused medical staff to be ill, as I described in a previous post. My GP Practice is excellent and well-organised. But only when patients turned up for the jab were they given a leaflet detailing the side effects which are extremely numerous and of increasingseverity, including "very rare" G-B paralysis !

Adef ? I am not sure that "all CLL patients require 2 doses of the vaccine". I thought it depended on the type of vaccine. One type does require 2 doses for all.

Replied On: Dec 05, 2009 07:54pm
smreynard

My husband, who is the one with CLL, was very ill with severe flu-like symptoms for three days after his Swine Flu jab, he then developed a lump the size of an egg in his armpit which has taken 10 days to go down. I just had a very sore and throbbing arm for about 5 days. There was no mention of him needing two shots, I don't think he would want it again!

Replied On: Dec 06, 2009 10:49am
Zeno

The discussion on the reactions to the H1N1 vaccination is interesting and it does go to show that different people have different responses to this vaccination. I had a letter from my haematology department advising me to have two H1N1 jabs and my wife to have one as priority persons. In the hospital that I am working, I had both the H1N1 and seasonal flu jabs at the same time with no adverse reaction of any sort, maybe a slightly sore arm at worst for a few minutes. My wife had hers at the local surgery and again, no reaction. My second jab is next Wednesday.

The discussion about two doses is interesting and, noted that one contributor has said that their doctor advises against it. The reasoning would be interesting. I am a member of our NHS emergency preparedness group, the focus currently being on the pandemic flu, and in all the discussions that have taken place, no mention has been made by the consultants of serious adverse reactions. However, as with penicillin, there will always be someone who will have some allergy when the majority will not.

I am in my ninth year with CLL and two six month sessions of chemo, the last completed in January this year. Good luck with the H1N1 jabs. We can expect some interesting times with this flu possibly from January to March.

One thing to bear in mind with CLL, the immune system is compromised with the treatment that we would have. When I had a Hepatitis C course for my current post, it was thought that I would have to repeat the course over again if the resistance level did not reach a certain percentage. Fortunately full protection was achieved first time around. I mention this as there is a parallel for us folks living well with this disease and careful consideration should be given to what our consultants are advising.

The sun now comes out, hooray!!!!

Replied On: Jun 13, 2012 10:01am
brendarosamond

[font=arial]I have just joined this forum realise that it is a lete posting regarding this subject. However i feel strongly enough to stress how important it is to have the swine flu vaccine. I too nearly died from HINI spendin five weeks on life sopport in hospital in 2010. My recovery was very slow , learning to walk again with the aid of a zimmer frame! This epside kicked off my CLL which had previously been dormant for 18 years! Thus a six month course of FCR chemo followed. Thankfully, i am in remission now but ever fearful of the Swine Flu, which I caught on a plane going to Spain i believe...

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here