UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Is CLL heriditary

Topic Made On: Aug 14, 2009 11:08am
michelle47

Hi I joined this board last year when my mum was diagnosed with CLL, my aunt has now been diagnosed with it. So I was wondering what chance do I have of getting it. Does anybody else have it in their family as well as themselves?

Replied On: Aug 15, 2009 08:20am
Robert Cork

Familial CLL is rare, about 5 to 8% of CLL is familial (based on the numbers I have seen over the years). In the majority of people there is no risk of passing the disease on to the next generation, but if there is a family history of the disease, then the risk is increased. Itís not know how it is inherited but it has nothing to do with the common chromosomal abnormalities.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Oct 27, 2009 02:32pm
vicki steel

Hi My Aunt has just been diagnosed with CLL and her doctor has told her that she should advise her sister (my mum) to see her doctor to arrange a blood test. Could you give me some idea as to what the chances of her being positive please. Thank you

Replied On: Oct 28, 2009 09:51am
adef

Hi Vicky,

This is a reliable American site that has useful introductory articles about CLL and is used by British patients.

http://www.clltopics.org/PhysCor/FamilialCLL.htm

It is easy to become scared because the extra risk sounds high (the relative risk) but it is worth remembering that if the risk of developing a disease is very small, then the extra risk still leaves a small risk. Because the risk of developing CLL depends upon all sorts of factors eg age, genes and type of CLL it might be sensible to ask your aunt to get the consultant to give her more information for your mother about the risk to her. Any consultant recommended by the CLL forum should be able to do this.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Replied On: Oct 28, 2009 09:54am
adef

Hi Vicky,

This is a reliable American site that has useful introductory articles about CLL and is used by British patients.

http://www.clltopics.org/PhysCor/FamilialCLL.htm

It is easy to become scared because the extra risk sounds high (the relative risk) but it is worth remembering that if the risk of developing a disease is very small, then the extra risk still leaves a small risk. Because the risk of developing CLL depends upon all sorts of factors eg age, genes and type of CLL it might be sensible to ask your aunt to get the consultant to give her more information for your mother about the risk to her. Any consultant recommended by the CLL forum should be able to do this.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Replied On: Oct 28, 2009 05:28pm
vicki steel

Thank you Adrian i will speak to my Aunt and have a look at the advised website.
Kind regards
Vicki

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here