UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

begining treatment.

Topic Made On: Sep 26, 2009 02:19pm
lisa c

my mum is 64 and was diagnosed with cll around 3 years ago, untill now we have been 'watching and waiting'.Around 6 to 8 weeks ago she started presenting symptoms of infection non specific. Yesterday the hospital decided treatment was now necessary as bloods have changed and according to ct scan nodes enlarged. I really have no more specific technical data than this.
she is taking treatment for three days on and four weeks off for four months. this is really all i know and am feeling really quite anxious about the situation. any reassurance from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

Replied On: Sep 27, 2009 09:20am
Robert Cork

Lisa

When I was about to start treatment in 2002 I was very concerned and depressed about what was about to happen. I had all the worst fears about the pending treatment, what if I react to treatment or it doesn’t work. In the end my fears were unfounded, the treatment and now subsequent treatments, have all gone well and I am currently in a good remission. As the patient we are often caught up in our own concerns/issues and forget about those of the carer/family.

It may be helpful to you if could found out a little more about your mothers pending treatment, (btw which hospital and consultant?). I am sure that some of us on this forum have already undergone the same treatment and could share their experiences with you.

I wish you and mother all the best for the future.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Sep 28, 2009 03:18pm
adef

Lisa,

Treatment in itself doesn't mean that things are bad or scary.Watch and wait is based upon the belief that treating would cause more problems than not treating - balancing risks in other words.It sounds now as though the doctors consider that treatment is less risky than waiting longer:treatment now will prevent things getting worse.

It is sometimes helpful for two people to attend each appointment with the doctor.Your mother can ask questions and you can listen to the answers and write down important points.Does your mother have anyone to go with her?

Best regards,

Adrian.

Replied On: Sep 30, 2009 09:45am
lisa c

adrian, hi
thanks so much for your reply, it is certainly a difficult illness to understand in the beginning. I hope i'm beginning to get my head around it. For me treatment = BAD, and trying to remain upbeat and positive around my mum was proving very difficult indeed as i felt i was lying to her. My dad always accompanies her to the oncologist appointments and is great at organising her bewildering array of pills. she is recieving 'fc' treatment. 3days on 4 weeks off for 4 months ..any experiences of this ?. thanks again for your reassuring words.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here