UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Green Tea After One Year

Topic Made On: Dec 05, 2009 09:15am
Greengrass

Hello everybody. I started taking Healthspan's Green Tea extract pills last October and this year, for the first time, on two occasions my WBC went down.I am continuing with it, about 3 pills a day.
I also tried Healthspan's Bromelian to try to ease arthritis which has flared up recently, but this does not agree with me, did not have any effect and I have stopped it.
If you feel intuitively something is good or bad for you, take action.

Replied On: Dec 06, 2009 11:11pm
Cronin

I read about the benefits of green tea extract pills on the Mayo Clinic website. My haematologist also saw the information and said he knew about one of the researchers' work. When I asked about whether I should take these tablets, he said "it's up to you". I have ordered some & will see if they maintain my WBC which has been fairly stable -so far.
If Greengrass can tell me how he learned about these tablets, I would be most grateful. And any other information about these tablets would be appreciated.

Replied On: Dec 07, 2009 08:52am
Greengrass

Hello Cronin.It's good that your blood count is stable; long may it continue to be so.In answer to your first question I started to use Healthspan as a source of vitamins many years ago following one of their adverts in a magazine. They have proved reliable and I think honest although they do not state the country of origin of their products. In answer to your second question this is what they say on their website :
Green Tea Tablets - 340mg Extract
Potent natural antioxidant.
One of the most potent naturally occuring plant antioxidants, Green Tea may help prevent the cell damaging effects of free radical molecules and promote good health.
Green tea contains many compounds but the primary constituents of interest are the polyphenols, particularly the catechin epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). It is the polyphenols that are believed to be responsible for most of green tea's role in promoting good health (1). Polyphenols are a class of phytochemicals found in high concentrations in grapes, wine and green tea and are among the most potent naturally occurring plant antioxidants.
All teas (green, black and oolong) are derived from the same plant, Camellia sinensis. The difference between them is how the plucked leaves are prepared. Green tea unlike black tea is not fermented so the active constituents remain unaltered in the herb.
You can get the benefits of Green Tea by drinking several cups of the brew each day or by taking it in a convenient, one-a-day tablet format with high levels of polyphenols and catechins. The extract used in our tablets is a premium quality, especially designed to provide a high level of these important compounds. Each tablet is standardised to provide a minimum of 95% polyphenols, ie 323mg of polyphenols, together with 136mg of EGCG - probably the highest grade commercially available as a food supplement.
1 Prev Med 1992;21:334-50
I should add that Mayo say actual green tea as a drink itself is virtually useless as a "treatment" for CLL.They found the more EGCG consumed the better the effect. But there has to be a catch somewhere, doesn't there ?

Replied On: May 09, 2011 11:20pm
pendle witch

I have been taking green tea supplements from Healthspan for around two - three months now. I was diagnosed last July, when my blood count was around 10. My white blood cell count came down slightly when I last went a couple of weeks ago. I read about the green tea supplements on a paper on the net, after an American scientist did some tests with CLL patients whose lymph nodes were swollen and as a result of taking green tea supplements for a year, the lymph nodes returned to normal size.

I would add I have also been to an Allegery Test UK practitioner and cut out all the foods my body was struggling to cope with; read The China Study by Dr T Colin Campbell, which details research carried out by him into cancer etc on behalf of the US government and as a result made changes to my diet and changed all my amalgam fillings. From the research papers I have read, we are such complicated beings that there is no single thing that will completely change things, but many things together can really help.

Replied On: May 13, 2011 08:39am
PHILIP2908

Hello all,
I was interested in the comments posted about green tea as I too saw an article on the benefits for CLL. I tried the PG green tea bags instead of the usual Earl Grey and hated the taste; also the actual weight in grammes was minimal. So I use Holland & Barrett green tea tablets and taking 2 x 500g per day and have done so since the end of my chemo last February - my levels have stayed fairly constant since. Whether this is down to the tablets I don't know but it doesn't do any harm (or cost much)to keep taking them.
Incidentally, I start my stem cell collection next week - these are to be collected, frozen and then harvested for when I might need them. This did not work last year as they couldn't get a big enough sample, so this time I am to have the GCSF injections over a number of days plus a new one, called I think PLEXIFOR, which costs 5,000 a shot !
Will let you know if it works.
Just for the record thanks go to my consultants: Dr Jenny Bird at Bristol and her colleague Dr Mahendra at Birmingham.
Keep well, Phil d'A

Replied On: May 17, 2011 02:07pm
Nick

Hi all,

I'm not using green tea extractions as my lymphacyte count seems to have leveled off again this summer and bone and joint pain seems to have improved with it if vitamin D is helping i don't know . But it would seem pointless to try tea products at the moment for me.

Phillip I think I get your point, I wish you good fortune with Plerixafor and hope this encourages your transplant to take and stem cells to multiply. Take care

Nick

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here