UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

help please

Topic Made On: Dec 10, 2009 03:11pm
PSKS

Hi All,

I 'm new to this forum. Hope you can help me.

My uncle has been diagnosed with CLL and gone through FCR once. Now, doctor is suggesting Bendamustine. He is an Indain citizen and living in India.

Bendamustine by Treanda is not available india. Therefore, I would like to buy here in UK.

Can you please suggest me where I can buy.

Many thanks in advance.
PS

Replied On: Dec 10, 2009 07:22pm
Robert Cork

Dear PS

I don't know of anyway that you will be able to purchase Bendamustine in the UK. It's only available on prescription.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Dec 10, 2009 08:00pm
PSKS

Dear Robert,
Many thanks for the reply. Is it something a private doctor can help me to prescribe?
Sorry for asking some basic questions. I am relatively new to this country.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
PS

Replied On: Dec 11, 2009 12:50pm

PS

I suspect that you will not be unable to ‘obtain’ Bendamustine for someone in India as it is a very toxic drug and needs to used very carefully.

However this may be of help to your uncle.

This time last year I failed with FCR which coincided with my haematologist returning from the 2008 ASH (American Society of Haematologists) conference where the use of Bendamustine in the states had been widely discussed.

Bendamustine is a chemotherapy that has been used extensively in the old ‘eastern block’ for many years as a treatment for CLL but not so much in the west although it is now used extensively in Germany. It is administered intravenously over 2 days every 28 days for 6 periods.

Bendamustine was not licensed for use in the UK but my haematologist approached the manufactures and they supplied the drug for free – basically to get a foot in the UK market.

Maybe if your uncle’s haematologist approached the manufacture he may elicit a similar response – I would assume the potential in India must be massive?

Anyway nothing ventured nothing gained . . . .

Jim.

Replied On: Dec 12, 2009 05:48pm
Swainson

P.S.

Further to my reply yesterday, I have a spoken to a friend who manages the pharmacy for a large midlands hospital she has confirmed that there is no way you would be able to purchase Bendamustine as it is a very toxic and closely controlled drug.

Jim.

Replied On: Dec 14, 2009 08:55am
PSKS

Dear Jim,

Many thanks. I requested my uncle to check with his Haematologist to approach the manufacture. He has got an appointment on 16th Dec.
Fingers crossed!

Regards,
PS

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here