UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Survival rates

Topic Made On: Jan 05, 2010 07:03am
Greengrass

In a piece about the new vaccine trial for AML patients The Daily Telegraph states "Latest survival rates show that more than half the people with leukaemia die within five years of diagnosis".
I don't believe this statementis accurate.

Replied On: Jan 05, 2010 11:20am
adef

I'm afraid it probably is. The article does not make clear whether they are referring to all leukaemias or just myeloid leukaemia.

In either case, the statement should be treated with caution when thinking about any one person with CLL. Survival depends on so many factors.

Here are reputable statements from Cancer Help:

For all stages of CLL, on average 44 out of 100 men (44%) and 52 out of 100 women (52%) will live for at least 5 years after being diagnosed. But your own outlook depends on the stage you are in when you are diagnosed. Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia has 3 stages, called stage A, B and C. In the earliest stage (A), survival time is generally 10 years or more. For people diagnosed in the middle stage (B), the survival time is generally from around 5 to 8 years. For people diagnosed in the most advanced stage (C), the survival time is generally around 1 to 3 years.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/cll/treatment/statistics-and-outlook-for-chronic-lymphocytic-leukaemia#cll

The statistics about all forms of leukaemia can be found at http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/leukaemia/survival/index.htm

Warmth to all,

Adrian.

Replied On: Jan 05, 2010 12:17pm
Seabecalm

Survival rates, I was diagnosed in October 09 with B-CLL obviously stressed and not taking in all Hemo. said to me, I thought he said 8 years before treatment, I'm not having any treatment at the minute, wait and see time, my count in 34, now I wonder if too much information is a worry too many, Im trying to find out as much as I can but find it difficult to take in all in

Replied On: Jan 06, 2010 10:15am
ronnie

The original post referred to AML which of course is acute Leukaemia and not chronic so I would imagine that the survival rates are very different compared to CLL sufferers.
Therefore dont panic if its CLL you have. In any case every patient is different and statistics cannot pssibly reflect accurately every survival rate of CLL. Read too much in to it and you will definitely panic. I am wathch and wait 3 years on with bad prognostic indicators but I feel very well. Hospital next week for the dreaded 6 monthly blood test - fingers crossed! Keep well everyone.

Replied On: Jan 06, 2010 11:11am
Seabecalm

Thanks I appreciate your reply, I lost my husband to cancer 3 years ago, so I dont have anyone to talk to about my CLL, my husbands diagnoises was very late and treatment was not possible, so I'm a bit sensitive. It helps to share information, thanks everyone, good luck at hospital, mine in 3 weeks.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here