UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Platelets - bone marrow

Topic Made On: Jul 19, 2010 03:46pm
Seabecalm

Hi, can anyone help with this question, my platelet level atlast test, 4 weeks ago was 13, consultlant said I would probably start treatment by September, the last few days my gums are bleeding when I eat or clean my teeth, and I have these tiny red pin spots on my arms and hands - oh and I have a headache most of the time, - anyone had the samejavascript:void(0);

Replied On: Jul 20, 2010 07:42am
Robert Cork

Seabecalm

I just need to clarify that your posting is correct in that your platelets are 13. The normal reference range for platelets is 140 to 400.

Robert

Replied On: Jul 20, 2010 01:10pm
Seabecalm

sorry I meant 130

Replied On: Jul 21, 2010 12:57pm
Robert Cork

Seabecalm

130 is not that bad, only just outside the normal reference range, but if you gums are bleeding that might be of concern to your Haemotologist.

Myself I am currently around the same platelets as you and I still get these small red bleeds on my body. Even when my platelets were at 70 I didn't have any problems with bleeding teeth. But we are all different and have different experiences with the same blood levels.

See if you can take it easy when you clean your teeth and cut down on foods that cause your gums to bleed. See how this goes and make a judgement based on your results.

Regards

robert

Replied On: Jul 25, 2010 03:45pm
JackieR

It might be worth you visiting your dentist (if you can fit it all in, what with everything else!). I am a qualified dental nurse, and feel that there is a possibility you may have a little bit of infection hanging around there. The leukaemia may be making the bleeding worse.
At the very least, your dentist's diagnosis will be of benefit to your haematologist.
I hope I have helped you.
Jackie

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here