UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Infections

Topic Made On: Jul 25, 2010 06:45pm
sassy1261

Hi all,

I had been sailing along taking no notice of my cll as my bloods are not bad and a 13q deletion when I got a viral infection. Started off with a really terrible case of the runs, then infected tonsils and the antibiotic gave me thrush in my mouth to the extent my tongue split in numerous places. Two weeks in hospital followed, 7 lots of intravenious antibiotics, phlebitis in my arm where the drip was so I had to have it packed in ice and a stone and a half lost. At one point, because I was not responding to the antibiotics they were worried it was going to turn into septaceamia (not sure if thats how you spell it).I then had to had recouperation for 6 weeks, during which I lost a further half stone, nothing tastes right and I am still very weak. My haematologist does not seem in the least bit worried, but I am. Should I be?

Replied On: Aug 23, 2010 03:02pm
Seabecalm

hi,, I have read your posts, as I do most peoples, they are very interesting and comforting( I know thats weird) but a problem shared and all that

Replied On: Aug 24, 2010 10:02am
pastongriffin

Hi, I ended up being treated 2 years after diagnosis because I was getting very frequent infections..and ending up in hospital sometimes. My haematologist was very concerned because they can be a sign the cll is progressing. My spleen enlarged and blood count went up as well. He sent me to an immunologist at Papworth to do serum immunoglobin tests as he thought my immune system was damaged (it was). So yes, infections can be caused by CLL but also drive CLL (see CLL topics website - Viral drivers) I should ask your haemotologist to refer you to an immunologist.

Replied On: Sep 01, 2010 10:27pm
sassy1261

Thanks for that. It is now three months later, still have a bad taste in my mouth which stops me eating as everything tastes so bad. Have lost further weight (not that much of a problem as I had some to loose). Had my haematology telephone appointment today, my stats are good, nothing enlarged and although count went up it has come down again, but I still feel weak and tired. Will take your advise and ask to see an immunologist. Good luck both.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here