UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

AIHA and neutropenia

Topic Made On: Aug 13, 2010 01:01pm
Seabecalm

can someone please explain to me what these are

Replied On: Aug 14, 2010 01:59pm
Swainson

Hi Iím no expert but I have been there and got the T shirt on both of these.

AIHA stands for Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia and is a type of hemolytic anemia where the body's immune system attacks its own red blood cells, leading to their destruction, a state that is referred to as Hemolysis. Basically your red cells crash through the floor leaving you with no energy and I mean no energy whatsoever. My red cells count was below 4 and I felt so ill at that point that I can barely remember the incident. It is sometimes brought on by a (uncommon) adverse reaction to Fludarabine when on the FCR therapy regime. Treatment is high doses of steroids and a blood transfusion.

Neutropenia (which in basic terms means you have no immune system) is common during Chemotherapy when your neutrophils drop below certain readings. Severe neutropenia (when your body can start to attack itself) is usually expressed as less than 0.5 and you are then at severe risk of infection when you have to be scrupulously clean and avoid crowds etc., having said that any count below 2.5 can be expressed as neutropenia, but obviously the higher the number the risk lessens.

Jim.

Replied On: Aug 15, 2010 04:18pm
Seabecalm

thankyou, that explains a lot I feel so thick at times, I start chemo FCR on 7th sept so I am very anxious, my counts are by all counts not outlandish but Im so tired and I know Im not looking after myself as I should be- Im not taking any other meds at the minute for the CLL

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here