UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

campath

Topic Made On: Aug 22, 2013 06:02pm
kestrel

Hi,my name is Lee.I'v seen the consultant today who tell's my I shall be starting Campath treatment in a weeks time along with a future appointment at St Barts regarding being placed on the bone marrow register.I wonder if anyone has any info of this treatment they could share with me.

Replied On: Aug 23, 2013 09:07am
Bubbles55

Hi Lee! all the best with your treatment. I know little which is worse than nothing. Just wanted to point out if you go to the treatment forum, you can select Campath and there you will find more information from sufferers who have experience of it.

Good Luck

Replied On: Aug 23, 2013 11:54am
adef

Hello Lee.

You will see that I posted on the Campath thread in 2009. I remain well and have been chucked out of regular follow up. my consultant only wants to see me if I have problems within the year.
Since my last post most of my immunity has recovered. I have had no major infections. However I do have multiple warts which continue to extend and for which there is no effective treatment.

So in my opinion Campath is a 'heavy' treatment and I would suggest that you understand fully why it has been chosen
For you in preference to another treatment. The effects on the immune system can be major and last up to 2 years and even then leave you with a greater deficit than that from the CLL alone.

Hope all goes wel for you.

Adrian.

Replied On: Aug 24, 2013 08:25am
kestrel

Thank you Adrian for that link,and sharing your experience's.There's nothing worse than being in the dark,and nobody know's better than someone who's been there.I appreciate your support.regards Lee

Replied On: Aug 25, 2013 04:38pm
Chonette

I had the CamPred protocol in 2008, Campath and High Doses MethylPrednisolone in preparation for my Reduce Intensity Stem Cell Transplant, which was March 2009.
I am now almost 5 years post transplant doing well.
Campath is a very inmunosuppressive treatment and the hospital monitors you very well with test like CMV done weekly.

My treatment was for 16 weeks but on week 9 I was hospitalised with two infections and the reactivation of the CMV virus. I spent 4 weeks in hospital very ill but they sorted me out and all finished well.
In the www.cllfoum.com on the transplant section I kept an update of everything during the preparation, SCT and after if you got the time to read it all.
My humble advise would be to make sure you avoid infections and educate all your family and friends in that area so they are aware no to be in contact if they got colds etc. also disinfecting everything.
Let me know if you like a chat over the phone
Regards
Chonette

Replied On: Aug 26, 2013 02:26pm
kestrel

Hi,Chonette I was really encouraged by your story.I would like to chat over the phone if that possible?How can we arrange.Regards Lee

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here