UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

WBC 178k

Topic Made On: Mar 24, 2015 11:52am
sunshinefrankie83

Hi all,

As some of you may know, my Dad has CLL. He has recently been unwell so he went to the GP this morning who prescribed some anti biotics for an infection. The doctor checked his hospital records and said that my Dad's WBC is 178k. This is higher than we were expecting. He has an enlarged spleen and small nodes in his neck. I'm full of a panic now as I know that figure is high and I really didn't think his was that high. Do you think treatment will be soon, going from your past experiences?

Replied On: Mar 25, 2015 07:04am
Admin

The white cell count is not that important, there are patients with a white count in the millions. Itís the other blood counts that are more important and if your father has any symptoms. So do you know if your Dad has any symptoms of Night Sweats, fatigue, frequent infections, etc. In terms of his blood counts a low HB and platelet count is often an indication of treatment, do you know what these numbers are?

Robert

Replied On: Mar 25, 2015 07:44am
steve y

Hi Sunshinefrankie,
As Robert said the wbc is not so important, mine was over 200 before treatment.
My consultant wanted a 6 month collection of blood data at least, before treatment also he needed me to have a period of being well and healthy, this may sound a strange thing to say but I think it is a bit of a balancing game, in as much as ideally you should be in good health but not too early to start treatment, if you see what I mean.
A 6 month or so history will be important to see which way the disease is going.
Try not to worry and the eye infection is just another result of having all, I'm sure.
I finished my chemo (fcr) in January and told I will be taking the low level antibodies for a few months longer, the anti viral drugs I take will finish at the end of the month.
Ask your consultant questions but trust in him/ her to make the right choices is my advice.
Try not to worry too much, there is plenty of light at the end of that tunnel,
Take Care
Steve (Coventry).
PS excuse any typos, doing this on my phone, on holiday in Devon

Replied On: Mar 26, 2015 08:55pm
sunshinefrankie83

Thank you both for your replies.he doesn't have any more information on his other counts But it's useful to know wbc aren't the only determining factor. He doesn't have any night sweats but does seem to be suffering recurrent infections.did your counts drop drastically after treatment Steve? I'm glad to hear you're doing well- enjoy your well deserved break!

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here