UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Sinus Infections

Topic Made On: Feb 03, 2008 07:28pm
Robert Cork

I would appreciate some advice from those on the forum that are suffers of the dreaded Sinus Infections.

I have around 3 sinus infections a year, the worst always seems to be after Xmas. I am lucky that I do not suffer from sinus pain, but itís the blocked nose that gets to me and itís always worst at night when you want to get some sleep. I just canít breathe through my mouth, itís impossible for me. I have tried most of the recognised treatments with limited help if any:

1. Salt nasal washing.
2. Steam inhalations.
3. Tropic steroid treatments for the nose. E.g. ipratropium bromide, beconase.
4. Siting in the conservatory with no heat on does help to clear the nasal passages.

I am now on my 2 batch and 3rd week of antibiotics, so far they do not appear to be giving any relief.

Products such as Vicks Sinex and Otrivine do provide relief from a blocked nose within minutes, but you can only use these for seven days (according to the instructions). Itís a bit of a ďrock and hard placeĒ when you can sleep due to a block nose and having something on the side that will give you some relief and subsequent sleep.

I was wondering if there was anyone that had been prescribed something by their GP that actually made a difference or some tip that has resulted in a real tangible improvement from a sinus infection?

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Feb 03, 2008 07:48pm
Eileen

Robert I hope we get some positive replies to this.
I have had a problem since last June. Four courses of antibiotics have not cleared this. It seems to go away for the course of the treatment but then just comes back. I have had nasal swabs and use the antibiotics that are suitable.

I did try the salt nasal wash it worked for a day or two. Trouble is it just seems to go straight into my throat :(.

Just hoping for something that will relieve it if not make it go away.

Take Care

Eileen.

Replied On: Feb 03, 2008 09:54pm
barb

Hi Robert
Have you tried clearing your sinsus with inhaling with the menthol crystals in hot water....you only need a tip of the teaspoon. Dont use any more because they are quite strong. Throw towel over head, press side of each nostril and inhale then blow your nose hopefully that might clear it. The crystals come in a small white pot.

If you do try this let us know how you get on with them.
I suffer from allergic Rhinitus...I take clarityn 30mg and beconase spray all year round but occasionally have to go back to GP for an antibiotic nasal spray. I have to watch what I use because of taking tablets for high blood pressure.

Hope you manage to sort this sinsus problem out.
Take care
Barbara

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 09:23am
Robert Cork

Barb/Eileen

I have tried the bowl of hot water with Vicks Vapour Rub melted in the water to no avail. I have also tried a course of Piriton, which I think is the same sort of item as the Clarityn, am I correct, but once again this did not work.

I had not thought of this before, but do the antibiotic nasal sprays work in your experience? Do you have a brand name?

Eileen, you say that when you use the salt nasal wash it works for a day or two, does that mean that your blocked nose is opened for this period of time? In my experience the salt nasal washes do not relieve the blocked nose, true that it does remove some of mucus, but no cure for any period of time.

Robert

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 04:40pm

Eileen/Barb/Robert

I too suffer regularily from a blocked nose due to Sinus Infections.

Specific antibiotics, e.g. Erythromycin provide a good relief which unfortunately lasts only 2 to 3 weeks after the course and in general I try to use antibiotics only as a last resort. Nasal sprays like Vicks Sinex, Otrivine etc. reduce the swelling of the nasal blood vessels almost immediately but caused the occasional nose bleed so I stopped their use.

A few months ago a friend recommended Vicks 'First Defence' which is a
micro-gel nasal spray based on plant extracts (Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose) which trapps the germs and dries the mucus. Though
(according to the patient leaflet) it can be used upto 4 times a day, I use it only once every second day and it does the trick. You only have to blow your nose occasionally to get rid of the dried-up mucus.

Maybe it is worth a try. It works for me.

Manfred

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 06:23pm
Gillian

All, I've been treated for Allergic Rhinitis by my GP for over 20 years. On a few occasions when it's been worse than usual I've had antibiotics but they've never really worked so I no longer bother with them. I do, however, have a spray on prescription (though I think you can buy it over the counter now). It's generic name is Fluticasone but retail names include Nasofan and Flixonase. There's also a spray called Rynacrom. I don't use it all the time, just when needed, and it usually relieves symptoms within 48 hours. I think it is wonderful and would never be without a spare one. It's worth a try. Hope it works for you too. Gillian

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 07:25pm
Eileen

Hi All
Yes Robert the salt wash does seem to open the passage up and get rid of the mucous for a day or two but back it comes again. Same with antibiotics as everyone else has found it works for the period you take them then it just comes back. I will try some of the remedies recommended above though. Something surely will work.

Thanks for the tips. I wonder if this goes with having cll the same as the cramps do?

Take Care

Eileen.

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 07:58pm
Robert Cork

Manfred

8.00pm, and just got back from Sainsbury's and bought "Vicks First Defence". Had three sprays in each nasal passage. We now wait in expectation!!! Thanks for the recommendations.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 08:07pm
Robert Cork

Gillian

As mention in the previous thread I have just purchased the "Vicks First Defence" Product. I will give this a few days then go back to my GP and try the steriods route again.

Robert

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 09:17pm
triciagardom

For sinus infections I inhale tea tree oil, taking care not to get it directly on to the skin. It works particularly well at night. The stuffiness seems to clear after about 3 days. The infection itself takes a bit longer. Hope that it works for you.

Replied On: Feb 04, 2008 11:00pm
barb

Robert I found Vicks vapour rub no good to clear the sinus.
the Vick vapour rub is not as strong as you use to be.

Vicks first defence is good when you feel a cold coming on.

Hope you find something soon to be able to clear your sinus....What works for one does not always work for another.
Take care
Barbara

Replied On: Feb 05, 2008 12:29pm
adef

There is a wonderful range of self help remedies in this thread but could I just introduce a caveat? This is what the Venkats have to say in CLL topics:

'I see far too many "home remedies" for dealing with chronic sinus infections on the Internet chat rooms. Some of these may indeed help, but some may do little more than help you breathe a little easier for a short while. But without a concerted effort to kill the bug causing the infection, you may be only tinkering with the symptoms on a superficial basis. Viruses have a nasty way of hiding dormant for a long time, then getting into an attack mode when your immune system is down and there is a window of opportunity for them. As CLL patients with compromised immune systems, we should be particularly aware of reduced neutrophils and immune function due to therapy, and take preemptive precautions.'

All very well to say, but how can we take precautions unless we know what to guard against? It is my understanding that 'sinusitis'in the medical sense implies an infection.In the lay sense it can cover everything from a blocked nose to allergies. Problems breathing through the nose is not 'sinusitis' in the medical sense. The appropriate remedies will depend upon the cause and this is always difficult to establish. Those events leading to breathing difficulties years ago might not be the same now that we have CLL.

So should we be pushing our medical advisers to help us establish more clearly what is happening in our sinuses when we have problems? Then we could pass on the allergenic cat with a clear conscience.

Anyone tried?

Ade

Replied On: Feb 07, 2008 10:16am
Robert Cork

Ade

Once again you make some very valid points which does refocus the mind. I am seeing my ENT next week and will be asking some more probing questions.

As to me and my sinus infection, I am still on the antibiotics, started Sudafed a few days ago and also started to use Vicks 'First Defence' recommended by Manfred. The sum of all of this is that I can now breathe a lot better, trouble is I don't know what made the situation better!! In a lot of respects I don't really mind (I know it's not the right attitude), but I am just happy to be able to breathe normally.

Thanks

Robert

Replied On: Feb 07, 2008 07:29pm
Gillian

Robert, having used Fluticasone for so long it never entered my head to check what it actually is! I guess I've just got so used to having it there if I need to use it. I now realise I've been remarkably naive and just gone along with the repeat prescriptions. Following your post which said 'steroids' I looked it up on the net. I've stopped using it and also bought the Vicks 'First Defence' to try. Also a Sinus Rinse kit which may or may not help. I'll see what happens and post the results. So, thank you for (accidentally?) alerting me. Hope you're still feeling better, Gillian

Replied On: Feb 14, 2008 04:19pm
Robert Cork

It has now been 4 weeks since I started the current sinus infection and I am pleased to note that the infection has subsided following 4 weeks of antibiotics, salt nasal sprays, salt nasal washing, steam inhalation, etc. and to long on products like Vicks Sinex and Otrivine which should only be used for 7 days in a row.

As per Ade's message on the 5th Feb, I questioned my GP as to what was the right way that I should be treating my sinus infections. He was of the opinion that the reason for the blocked nasal passages was directly in relationship to lymphoid tissue being enlarged as a result of the CLL. I now have a prescription for Ipratropium Bromide which he said should help. I did a quick search on the internet to find that this product does help with a runny nose but does NOT help in nasal congestion, so I donít hold out must hope.

We will have to wait until the next infection to find out.

Regards

Robert

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here