UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Breaking news on CLL Research

Topic Made On: Feb 09, 2008 04:05pm
Gillian

Hi All, I know some of you will see this on other forums but thought everyone would be interested. Though, of course, it's not been through trials yet and is only an in-vitro study to date:

'A GROUP of Welsh researchers are making “significant” progress in developing a new treatment for leukaemia.

The Cardiff University team have discovered that large amounts of a protein called NF-kB are linked to the growth of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) – the most common form of the disease in adults in the UK.

Patients with the most aggressive form of the disease also had the highest levels of NF-kB.

Dr Saman Hewamana, a Leukaemia Research clinical training fellow, has also been able to show – in laboratory conditions – that an experimental drug can block NF-kB action, which results in the death of leukaemia cells.

The new drug also kills leukaemia cells taken from patients who are resistant to conventional chemotherapy and it the drug does not appear to harm normal blood cells.

This could spare patients from the effects of conventional chemotherapy.

The drug will be tested for the first time in patients with CLL in trials in Cardiff in the near future.

Dr Chris Pepper, who is leading the research, said, “If these very promising results can be repeated in the clinical setting, it seems likely that drugs aimed at disabling NF-kB will become an important addition to the treatment options for this form of leukaemia, which affects more than 3,500 patients in the UK each year.”

Dr Hewamana’s research, which is funded by UK cancer charity Leukaemia Research, has been published in the journal Blood.'

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/08/scientists-find-new-way-to-tackle-leukaemia-91466-20450285/

Gillian

Replied On: Jun 10, 2011 11:22pm
Nick

I posted a few weeks back news that leukaemia research Had upped Cardiff's funding. However Aparently the EHA has raised the alarms that European research funding made available by the European commision is insufficiant!

"Blood cancers kill over 95,000 in the EU every year; the EU
must be made aware that more research funds are needed",
states Professor Robin Foà, President of the European
Hematology Association (EHA) at their annual congress in
London."

"Given the impact of blood diseases on the health of
Europeans, the resources currently made available by the
European Commission, especially for academic research, will
not suffice", says Foà.

http://tinyurl.com/6z8lvmk

Nick

Replied On: Jun 11, 2011 01:01am
Nick

Researchers in the labs of Cardiff University , Wales have found that 2 forms of aspirin derivatives may help CLL management?

. Researchers concluded " Our results demonstrate therapeutic potential of 4HBZ and are consistent with a mechanism involving suppression of Rel A nuclear translocation and inhibition of COX-2 transcription."

Very, very early days...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2011.00760.x/abstract;jsessionid=C74EF0D8E053277DD4D234E0247B1384.d02t03#fn1

Replied On: Jun 21, 2011 05:08pm
Nick

The European Society of Medical Oncology and the Annals of Oncology has released some papers by noted CLL researchers in Europe, that were presented at their recent meeting in Switzerland. Mountains of good stuff in here. Much in development!!

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/suppl_4.toc

Session10 CLL has some interesting CLL specific research work and information,

Also Poster sessiom I CLL

And: Publications CLL/ myeloma

Replied On: Jun 22, 2011 09:56pm
Venceremos

Would Aspirin itself be any use? And if so, in what quantity?
I appreciate your contributions very much.

Replied On: Jun 23, 2011 08:08am
Nick

Afraid not, these are derivatives manufactured in the lab, interesting stuff though. Remenber Aspirin is a NSAID and carries it's correponding bleed risks too us, somthing I would only take under consultation. As many of us have to as a prophylactic because of comorbidities.

I will ask Dr Chris Fagan about this research at my next consult in September, I will post his answer.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here