UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

IBUPROFEN

Topic Made On: Feb 16, 2008 03:46pm
Dave Rodgers

Does anyone know the reason why someone with a low platelet count should be carefull about using Ibuprofen?

I cant remember what the Ibupufen does to the platelet count!

Replied On: Feb 16, 2008 08:12pm
Eileen

Hi Dave

I think the reason is that ibuprofen in a non steroid drug. These can cause bleeding in the stomach if taken for a long time. With low platelets these bleeds could be serious.

I don't know if they affect the platelet count. But I would ask before taking them.

Take Care

Eileen .

Replied On: Feb 16, 2008 08:34pm
Dave Rodgers

Eileen

Thanks for that. When I said low platetelts I should have been abit more specific, they are currently about 100.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ibuprofen doesn't stop the production of platelets, but does something else to them, but I cant remember what, may be reduces their effectiveness!!!

Replied On: Feb 19, 2008 09:01am
Robert Cork

Dave

I found this on the internet and had also read that Ibuprofen can affect the effectiveness of platelets and is more likely to be a problem when they are very low.

Quote........Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Many people take ibuprofen or other NSAIDs for headache, musculoskeletal problem, and other types of pain. Platelets are the blood cells that help the blood to clot. Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs may affect the way platelets work and could interfere with normal blood clotting. Blood clotting is very important during surgery, so many doctors advise patients to stop taking ibuprofen and other NSAIDs at least 1 week before surgery. However, the effect of NSAIDs on platelets is temporary. No studies directly support the recommendation to stop the drugs 7 days before surgery.......end quote

Regards

Robert

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here