UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

CT Scans

Topic Made On: Feb 26, 2008 12:23am
Marcus

Hi everyone, have we anyone who can tell me if a CT scan is detrimental to our health or when we should be looking to have the first one or if we need one at all, as it seems to be becoming controversial in my life at present, thank you, Marcus

Replied On: Feb 26, 2008 06:35pm
Gillian

Hi Marcus,
If you put 'The Professors Post' into Google it should bring up Professor Terry Hamblin's posts from the Acor list. There is a section on CT scans as well as lots of other useful things.
Hope you find it helpful, Gillian

Replied On: Feb 26, 2008 07:15pm
Robert Cork

From what I have read the summary is:

1. Only do them when there is a good reason i.e to find out something that is not possible by other means.
2. One abdominal CT scan is the equivalent to 400 chest X rays.
3. There is no evidence that the radiation from a CT scan makes the CLL any worse (or better).
4. The radiation dose is small in comparison to treating solid tumors.

Regards

Robert

Replied On: Feb 28, 2008 01:11pm
Marcus

Thank you for your replies, I have always found Terry Hamblin very helpful , I just wish I lived nearer to Bournemouth, so I could be under him.
So bearing in mind I have been in, wait and watch for the last six
years and because of my numbers from blood tests, my consultant has
decided to start my chemo in March.
I was first diagnosed due to a large painful lump in my neck and over
the last six years have suffered unexplained discomfort under my
armpits, although the consultant has examined me externally and states
my glands are fine, he still states that a CT scan is not warranted, he also on my last visit last week told me my spleen is slightly enlarged now also.
The discomfort under my arms has now got to the stage where I am now
loosing sleep due to the discomfort, plus some discomfort occasionally
in my neck, should I be insisting on a scan to qualify the
situation or am I getting paranoid.

Marcus

Replied On: Feb 28, 2008 04:07pm
Gillian

Marcus, sorry to hear you are in such a quandary (and discomfort). I think a lot of us have been (or are still) in one as well, so understand what you are going through. I can't answer your question but have you seen a CLL Expert or are you under the care of a local haem/onc?
If you've not seen one maybe it's time to go to an 'Expert' from the list at CLL Support UK and see if they can put your mind at rest one way or the other. By the way, Terry Hamblin is retiring - I think in March. Kind regards and good luck, Gillian

Replied On: Feb 28, 2008 07:58pm
Robert Cork

Marcus

Maybe you should apply a little more pressure and have the CT scan. It will give you a baseline to work from and compare with in the future. I had 2 in the early days to see how bad or good things were.

BTW what treatment are you going to start in March?

Robert

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here