UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

Green Tea extract

Topic Made On: Apr 08, 2008 08:49pm
ronnie

After my latest white count and comparing it to previous results I noticed that my 'chart' went down with regards to white count at a specific period. I am currently 46 white count and have been as low as 38 at that time. It coincided with a period when i was drinking green tea - I still do but not so many per day as I was then. So as an experiment I would like to now up my green tea consumption over the next 3 months till my next blood count to see if it does make a difference. My wife wants me to go further than just drinking green tea by taking green tea extract capsules. I will ask the Dr his opinion but does anyone know if there is any harm in increasing my consumption of green tea by capsule or drink.
Thanks

Replied On: Apr 10, 2008 09:13pm
adef

Hi Ronnie,

Is this any help?

http://www.clltopics.org/Phyto/LatestonGreenTea.htm

Ade

Replied On: Feb 13, 2009 10:44am
Greengrass

Hello Ronnie !
The renowned Mayo Clinic (USA) are at present conducting a trial on green tea extract: (I hope Mayo have no objection to me copying some of their info about this!)
"What will happen in this research study?
This study has two parts:
Part I: Patients who are in the first part of this study will be assigned to different doses of Polyphenon E to try to find the highest dose of this medication that can be given without causing too many bad side effects. To find the highest dose of Polyphenon E, the first group of 3-6 patients will receive an initial dose thought to have limited side effects based on a previous study. If these patients do not have severe side effects, the next group of 3-6 patients will get a higher dose of Polyphenon E. The dose will be increased until at least some patients have bad side effects. The dose that you get will not increase during this study, but if you have bad side effects your dose may be lowered at future visits.
Part II: Patients who are in the second part of this study will be assigned to get Polyphenon E at the dose level that is thought to be the maximum tolerated dose (MTD), learned from Part 1 of this study. All patients in Part 2 of the study will get the same dose level. If you have bad side effects your dose may be lowered at future visits.
At the conclusion of participation in the 6 months portion of the Phase I or Phase II portions of the study, patients will be offered the opportunity to continue taking green tea extract (either Polyphenon E or a supplement grade green tea extract) for up to a year’s time as a continued part of the study. Further details are provided below.
All patients will be watched carefully for any serious side effects. These side effects cannot be completely known ahead of time. Clinical studies may involve significant risks for this reason.
Before you start any study treatment, you will have certain tests and procedures done to determine whether you can take part in this study. The researcher will look at your medical history, you will have a physical exam, you will have a bone marrow biopsy performed if one has not been performed recently, and you will have standard blood tests. The doctors may look at and measure your tumors using CT scans, which involve special cameras that take pictures of the tumors. If you are a woman who can become pregnant, you will also have a pregnancy test.
Consumption of over the counter green tea extracts is not allowed while you are getting it during this study.
Treatment on this study will follow a 4-week schedule, and each 4-week period is known as a “cycle”. You will take Polyphenon E by mouth two times daily during each cycle. (If you have bad side effects, your doctor may tell you to only take it one time each day.)
You should take your Polyphenon E with food, once in the morning and once in the evening. Each 4-week schedule will be repeated as long as you do not have serious side effects and your cancer does not get worse, up to a total of 6 cycles (6 months). You will also be asked to fill out a diary showing what times you took the Polyphenon E each day. You will need to bring this diary with you to the Clinic each time you get a new supply of Polyphenon E.
You will have blood tests every 4 weeks while you are taking the Polyphenon E during this study, and then you will have them every 3 months for up to 5 years from the time you start this study. These tests are needed to measure your blood cell counts and/or blood chemistries. These blood tests and measurement exams are part of the routine care given to cancer patients. You will need to return for treatment and for tests and examinations.
Extra blood and plasma samples will be taken for research use during this study. These samples will be used to measure how your CLL is changing with time and whether it is affecting other blood cells in your body. Some samples will also be used to find out if Polyphenon E is causing other side effects in your body. As many as eight (8) samples will be collected. The first sample (100 ml or approximately 7 tablespoons) will be collected before you start the study. Up to 7 additional samples will be collected, each 50 ml (or 3 ½ tablespoons) once every 4 weeks. You will need to return to the Clinic for these research blood sample collections. The collection of these blood samples are a requirement of the study. Part of these samples will be sent to investigators at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey for testing. Your sample will be given a code (rather than your name).
If your cancer lessens or goes away while you are taking the Polyphenon E then you will have a second bone marrow biopsy 2 months later to determine if residual CLL can still be detected in the bone marrow. During this biopsy, the study doctors would like to take extra bone marrow for research purposes. The collection of the extra bone marrow is optional and you can still take part in this treatment study and choose not to have extra marrow collected during the biopsy.
After the completion of 6 months of treatment with Polyphenon E, you and your research doctor will decide if you should continue on green tea extracts. If the decision is to continue, then you may receive capsules containing green tea extracts for up to an additional 12 months. Depending on availability, these capsules may consist of either the Polyphenon E capsules used in the study or, if unavailable, capsules of another green tea extract from the same manufacturer called “Polyphenon 100”. Either Polyphenon E or Polyphenon 100 will be provided to you without charge for the 12 month period" etc etc.
"There have also been reports of 14 patients taking an over the counter green tea containing products who developed evidence of liver irritation. In some instances, the frequency of liver irritation was estimated to be 1 case for every 100,000 boxes of product sold. In 12 of the 14 reported cases, the liver irritation resolved after stopping the green tea containing products. In the other two cases involving over the counter green tea products, the liver damage was so severe the individual’s required liver transplantation. One of these two cases involved a Canadian woman who was taking Polyphenon 100, at that time sold in Canada under the name “Green Lite” as a weight loss supplement.
It is uncertain whether in these 2 cases whether the liver irritation in these individuals was related to the green tea extracts or to some other liver irritant. Nevertheless, following the liver transplant in Canada mentioned above, the Canadian health authorities directed that the “Green Lite” product be temporarily withdrawn from the Canadian market. European authorities similarly directed the withdrawal from some European markets of a different green tea extract for weight loss named “Exolise” which was associated with some of the other instances of liver irritation mentioned above.
The information from the research on the lab animals represents a relatively small risk to humans taking the Polyphenon E as described in this study. All patients will be watched carefully for any serious side effects; some side effects cannot be completely known ahead of time. This study studies may involve significant risks for this reason."

Replied On: Feb 23, 2009 09:17pm
Greengrass

Anyone on Bortezomib ? Researchers warn that the effect of the drug Bortezomib used to treat a specific myeloma may be blocked by green tea consumption :
http://www.hematology.org/media/02032009.cfm
However, the acknowledged and proven cancer fighting properties of g.t. are acknowledged in this article and this is the only drug tobe concerned about.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here