UK CLL Forum, UKCLLFORUM

travel insurance

Topic Made On: Jul 02, 2008 10:52am
michelle47

Can you let me know which travel insurance you use. Trying to get insurance for my mum for a 14 day cruise, however, the ones I've tried have quoted me mid-hundreds or they wouldnt do it as she has only been diagnosed aprox 8 weeks ago.

Thanks for any advice

Michelle

Replied On: Jul 03, 2008 12:16pm
sylvie

Hello Michelle

I posted the following under 'other aspects of CLL'. I hope it might be of use to you as it is current information for a trip to Europe. I would be very interested to see if they will cover your mum for a cruise. I do hope so although if you are thinking of an American ship you might not be lucky as this is the same as getting travel insurance for America. I have had cover for a P&O ship in the past for a European cruise. Good luck.

Sylvie

I have been lucky enough to get some travel insurance for a holiday to Corfu. I was covered for CLL and previous heart disease for one weeks holiday at a premium of 75.75. The Company was

Freedom Travel Insurance (for people living with pre-existing medical conditions.
Telephone No. 01223 454 290
www.freedominsure.co.uk
I also found the questions asked were not so intrusive as other companies, so give them a try if you're going away.

I have been unable to get travel insurance for a few years now as I have been heavily treated for CLL and also have a history of heart disease. So thankyou to Thomas Cook who put me onto this company and enabled me to go away with peace of mind.

Sylvie

Replied On: Jul 03, 2008 03:42pm
ronnie

Also. I took out an annual policy with Insure and Go www.insureandgo.com
They were one of the few companies that were willing to insure me with an exclusion clause for the CLL. Others would only either insure me with an additional premium or not at all. Like your mother I am in early stages and so dont think I need to take out cover for CLL itself.
You may think different of course but thats how I got round it.

Replied On: Jul 03, 2008 05:10pm
sylvie

Ronnie, With Freedom Travel Insurance I was not excluded for CLL but had an excess clause (I think it was 200 for CLL and 50 for the heart disease).

With CLL, in an emergency perhaps you can get treatment in Europe under the reciprocal agreement. Cruising is different. Any kind of treatment in the US or on a US ship is prohibitively expensive (the lose your house kind of charges). When my mother (71) had (advanced) CLL and wanted to go on a cruise, the small print in the back of the brochure sent us to Torquay instead! I would suggest Michelle consults her mother's doctor before taking that route. Remember, if you do not declare your CLL and have another illness while away, (say food poisoning) or have a road accident and are found to have CLL whilst in hospital in a foreign country, maybe the insurance company need not pay out for this treatment either, as you could be deemed to have misled them by not declaring your CLL. I am not an insurance expert at all but would advise everyone to read the small print.

Sylvie

Replied On: Jul 05, 2008 04:28pm
ronnie

Sorry - I was not advocationg that she did not declatre CLL. Rather that she did but did not include it in the cover. So if there was any other illness she would be covered so long as it wasnt CLL related.
But of course it all depends on your attitude to risk. As I am receiving no treatment and still wait and see then I decided that I did not need the CLL cover although I did declare that I had CLL.

Replied On: Aug 18, 2008 06:01pm
mikwoo

Hello everone, Just found you in my quest for travel insurance. Get it free with my bank account at TSB but unable to cover CLL. Found a few hopefulls on interweb! Will keep you informed if get sorted. Glad I found you and will be able to discuss probs when I get them with like minded people. After reading some of the responses I feel so lucky that I have not suffered as some have. Got great doc at St Helens and Macmillam Haemotologist Nurse, feel very lucky. Had chemo in April and May, should have had 4 courses but got count down with 2. Reduced my red count as well so up to now have had about 12 units of the red stuff over 3 months. feel great after transfusion but until went on steriods only lasted 2 weeks and was feeling a little tired in 3rd week so back again. Nice to have a day just sitting there reading and snoozing while I get a fill up. Now been 6 weeks since my last top up, back to docs next thurs so find out then if all ok.

Replied On: Aug 18, 2008 08:24pm
Eileen

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hope you get the travel insurance sorted. I have free TSB too but haven't asked them about cll yet.

Hope the transfusions go well and you feel great again. I take steroids but tailing down to 5mg at the moment. My trouble is the platelet count drops.

Well good luck on Thursday be thinking of you.

Take Care

Eileen.

Replied On: Aug 19, 2008 08:48pm
mikwoo

Thanks for reply Eileen, can sort insurance through Freedom Travel Insurance but a bit steep at 146 for a week. Will keep on looking for better price but know that I can get it!
As for the steriods I am on 60mg a day and getting a few side effects but nothing that is a problem, bit of water retention and weak legs! It does keep my red count up but not sure I want to keep up that level for too long. Keep you informed after next visit to docs.

Thanks again
Mike W

Replied On: Aug 20, 2008 08:04pm
Twadd3

Re: travel we got 2 weeks for 101.00 to travel within Europe from Preferential Insurance: 0870 607 72 77

Replied On: Aug 21, 2008 03:10pm
mikwoo

Twadd3 you are a star! Got same deal, waiting for details to be posted to me but feel certain I will be booking it. Just had call back from them, while I was typing this, about possible Australia trip in Feb or March of next year and they say cannot cover me at all!! Due to stop overs for refueling for some strange reason. Any ideas any body??
Thanks again Twadd3.

Replied On: Aug 22, 2008 10:21pm
Gillian

Hi,I got an annual european policy for under 60 last January through JD Consultants. It is with Fortis. And it covers me for my CLL! However I am untreated, on Watch and Wait. Plus I'm aged under 60. They were the most helpful and pleasant insurance people I've ever spoken to. It might be worth a call - 01689 859102. Good luck! Gillian

Replied On: Aug 26, 2008 03:13pm
mikwoo

Hi,Thanks for that info, since last posting have had a good phone arround and settled on Direct Travel Ins. 0845 605 2700 for my trip in Sept, 79.35 for the trip and can do Australia too for approx 80 in Feb/March of next year. Thing everthing sounds good but again waiting to see details on paper before commiting myself.
Thanks again every one, M.

Replied On: May 07, 2010 04:37pm
leschrisvaughan

I have just had a quote from insurance choice 08445577712, 3 weeks in Canada for myself (cll) and my wife for 165.00 including baggage cover.

Replied On: May 07, 2010 06:17pm
leschrisvaughan

I have just finished researching holiday insurance and have gone with World First 0800 096 4602 137.44 for a year.

Replied On: May 12, 2010 06:19pm
olyocl

Does anyone know if there is a travel insurance that covers for annual cover. I have just been diagnosed, and only being motitored.

Replied On: May 12, 2010 06:26pm
olyocl

olyocl wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a travel insurance that covers for annual cover. I have just been diagnosed, and only being monitored.

Replied On: May 13, 2010 11:29am
Zeno

Have a look at this link that I previously posted. It might help:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/7536453/Too-sick-to-insure.html?utm_source=tmg&utm_medium=TD_sick&utm_campaign=pf3003pm

Replied On: May 13, 2010 11:30am
ronnie

olyocl -- try Gill Noble - this is from a recent posting -
Gill Noble/JD Consultants who are very understanding and don't take advantage.

Find them in Bromley, Kent on 01689 859102/3 or 4.

I have an annual policy with them which covers my CLL and like you I am watch and wait having been diagnosed 2006

Ronnie

Replied On: May 13, 2010 06:13pm
olyocl

Thank you Ronnie I tried JD Consultants but they could only give me single cover insurance. This may be because I am over 65. It is annoying when I feel so well.

Replied On: May 13, 2010 06:24pm
Admin

YES I managed to get annual european cover for my wife [with cll] and myself [fit and healthy] with MIA ONLINE for a total of 201 very good policy covers luggage etc...
Trevor hall

(Posted on behalf)

Replied On: Jun 24, 2010 03:57pm
olyocl

After a lot of searching I have finally managed to get Travel insurance with Club Direct.com for 2 weeks caribbean cruise for 142. I would really have liked annual but because of CLL (I am only in early stage) it was not possible. I am over 65. Hope this information will be useful to someone else.

Replied On: Aug 08, 2010 03:35pm
IHilton

Hi,can anyone help with travel insurance. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and since then have always taken holiday insurance with Club Direct. However, I am starting treatment "FCR" next week and now they have declined to insure me. I have booked a caribbean cruise for 2011 to celebrate my silver wedding anniversary and the cruise line need to know my insurance company. I will have finished treatment by the time I go on the cruise, but, I have exhausted numerous insurance sites with no joy - I may have to cancel the cruise. Any help? :(

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 08:27am
kestrel

Hi,I know this maybe what you've done already,but on the CLL forum Travel insurance it would seem a number of CLL's have found travel cover.If you have not looked there its worth a look.Hope your lucky regards Lee

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 09:11am
Zeno

I Hilton :Try this Daily Telelgraph Link that i recently posted. I have not tried it myself but there may be something there: Have a look at this link that I previously posted. It might help:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/7536453/Too-sick-to-insure.html?utm_source=tmg&utm_medium=TD_sick&utm_campaign=pf3003pm

I have free insurance with one of my banks and they review my CLL case every six months for cover. At the moment they cover me for anything other than direct CLL issues. This might sound vague, but to lose 3k of equipment is hardly likey to be the cause of CLL!

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 10:13am
pastongriffin

Hi , I got travel insurance with Free Spirit in April and only finished chemo in February this year so they will do it for recent chemo patients. I found their site on the CLL support uk site www.cllsupport.org.uk It was expensive but probably worth it for peace of mind. Good luck with chemo... Lucy

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 10:30am
Admin

I used JD Travel for a trip to the States just prior to course of FCR. Very reasonable too.
Ask for Katrina Noble, 01689 859102

Regards
Phil d'A
(Posted on behalf)

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 12:32pm
Admin

Hi, we got insurance for my partner through SAGA, so if you're over 55, they are a good option. Someone else quoted us in excess of 300 for a 5 day trip to Europe, but he paid, from memory, about 70 with SAGA, and we declared all his medical conditions, including the FCR. Good luck

Posted on behalf of a member.

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 01:29pm
olyocl

I Hilton: have you tried Viking Insurance they are very understanding. The fact that you are going to Caribbean does put price up, my other problem was that I am over 65. Hope you manage to find something. Please let us know how you get on.

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 01:38pm
olyocl

Admin wrote:
Hi, we got insurance for my partner through SAGA, so if you're over 55, they are a good option. Someone else quoted us in excess of 300 for a 5 day trip to Europe, but he paid, from memory, about 70 with SAGA, and we declared all his medical conditions, including the FCR. Good luck

Posted on behalf of a member.

Glad to hear Saga was such a good price. They quoted me 998 for 2 weeks cruise in Caribbean and I have not had any treatment. Just watch and wait.

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 02:14pm
Zeno

It might also be worth reading this article in the Telgraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/7929655/Pensioners-hit-by-rising-travel-insurance-costs.html

It seems like us that are getting a little older have to pay a higher premium in addition to ailments. Over 55 and the premiums rise to which you need to add the cost of covering CLL.

This is sad and irritating. :(

Replied On: Aug 09, 2010 02:35pm
IHilton

Thanks to everyone for all your help and I will definately try a few of the recommended sites. Unfortunately, I am only 47, so SAGA will not be able to help. I have had one quote of 1,674.00!! The opinion is that I need to declare the CLL/treatment as the cost of medical assistance on one of these cruises could bankrupt you!!
I'll keep you posted and thankyou to everone who responded - fingers crossed the treatment goes to plan.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Login Here